Last Updated: February 26, 2019
We Protect Your Information
Your privacy is very important to us. We have adopted reasonable administrative, physical, and technical measures to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the Personal Information, as well as the current state of technology.
What Information We Collect
In the course of using our website, you have the option of creating a user account. A user account is required to check your eligibility and apply for a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (“PSLF”) application or income-driven repayment (“IDR”) plan application. As part of the registration process, we will ask for your name and email address. Such personal information and any other unique identifiers that are used to establish your identity is your “Personal Information”. We also collect your student loan information that you upload on our site or which you authorize us to import or receive from financial lenders you designate. By accessing and using our Services, you expressly authorize and direct us to electronically retrieve your account information maintained by third-party financial institutions. Summer may work with one or more Partners to access and retrieve your account information. We also may use a third party provider to help you import your loan information by allowing you to directly login to your loan accounts through our site. Summer is not responsible for and cannot guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of account information we receive from you or retrieve on your behalf.
If you decide to use our tools to check your eligibility and apply for a PSLF or IDR application (collectively, the “Financial Program Applications”), you will be required to provide additional information, including your educational institution, degree history, employer and income information, credit score, and student loan information (collectively, the “Student Loan Information”).
Website Visitor Data
We also collect visitor information, including your IP address and server log data (the address of the web page you visited before using the Services, your browser type and settings, the date and time of your use of the website, language preferences). We may gather your information about the device you are using to access our website, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, application IDs, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Other data is collected, including data generated by your use of the website, including support communications with us and links you interact with. If you decide to contact us through the “Contact” link, we will gather your email address. Lastly, if you decide to engage with our friendly chatbot on the website (included as part of our “Services”), we may gather Personal Information you provide during the chat, such as your name, email address, and other information relevant to answering your query.
How We Use Your Information
- We use your information to operate, manage, and improve our Services, and for internal marketing and administrative purposes.
- We also use your information to provide you with a personalized summary of your student loan information, as well as provide guidance and recommendations on managing your student loans.
- We may use your information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, to respond to lawful requests, court orders and legal process, to enforce our rights, to prevent fraud, and to protect the security of the Services and for safety.
- When you create an account with us, we will send you marketing information about our products and Services, until you decide to opt out. We also will send you notifications, updates, and changes about our Services, and contact you to provide customer service and support. If you reach out to us using our website, regardless of whether you have an account, we will send you communications related to your query.
- If you decide to submit a Financial Program Application through our site, we may use your Student Loan Information to verify representations made in your Financial Program Application materials, and we will process and file the Financial Program Application on your behalf to the U.S. Department of Education.
- If you decide to interact with our chatbot on the website, we may use information you provide to help us answer your questions and for any other purposes disclosed herein.
How We Share Your Information
We do not sell, trade or otherwise share your Personal Information with any third parties without your consent except as disclosed in this Policy, as required by law, when we reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, or to protect the safety of any person.
We may sell generic, aggregate information not linked to any Personal Information to our Partners our other third parties, who may engage in advertising and promotional activities.
If you decide to submit a Financial Program Application through our site, we share your Financial Program Application materials, including your Student Loan Information, with the U.S. Department of Education, which may further share your Financial Program Application materials, including your Student Loan Information, with its affiliates. We encourage you to visit the U.S. Department of Education website to learn more about how they treat your Personal Information when you apply for PSLF or an IDR plan.
Cookies and Other Technologies
These technologies are used in improving or administering the Services, analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movements around the website and Services, and to gather demographic information about our user base. We may sell this information to third parties and/or Partners on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
Opt In / Opt Out
Requests to Access, Edit, or Delete Information
Our Services are not directed to children under 13. If you learn that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information without consent, please contact us. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with his or her Personal Information, we will promptly delete such data.
You may have implemented a “do not track” signal through your browser. As there currently is no fixed standard for do not track signals, we currently do not respond to do not track signals from your web browser.
Data Retention and Destruction
California Privacy Rights
335 Madison Ave, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10017